Life lesson from weeds


The little things we allow to take root and consider harmless can actually do more harm than good.

I grew this plant (aka weed) from seed taken during my Bohol trip and when two seeds sprouted, my mother uprooted them because they were (you guessed it!) weeds. I was able to save one. I planted them because I wanted Izel to see and harvest what I called "nature's surprise eggs"!

Unfortunately though, it has grown so much and was taking up space and affecting all the other "more useful" plants surrounding it. It was literally sucking up all the nutrients and my melon, cucumber and onions were getting overpowered by it.

Looking at this plant that I nurtured into life and while contemplating if I should uproot it, I realized how it's actually a reminder of a great lesson in life that is also in the Bible.

That weeds will be removed and thrown into the fire.

There are small things that we allow into our lives because we "think" they are harmless...the little seemingly harmless chat sessions with our crushes even if we're married, the little and occasional drunken to death sessions with our friends even if we should be attending church service, the occasional envious looks we have at other people's achievements because we feel they don't deserve it, the little gambling sessions we take part in even if the money could be used for more important things, the little gossips we spread around making someone look bad, the "let me try this drug" session, the little lies, the little vices - the little everything!

We feel these don't seem to count because they are rarely done and they are "little things" but in fact these little things can and do pile up into bigger ones.

The more we allow these things to infiltrate our lives, the more they become normal to us and we end up getting acclimatized by it's presence in our lives that we don't notice they've taken root.

It would be good if they are uprooted before they break out into bigger expanding vines but what if it these have taken deep roots, affecting not only us but the people surrounding us and it's too late to uproot it? What then???

I encourage you to read the Parable of the Wheat and the Weeds (Matthew 13: 24-30) if you have time today.

It is a story of how a farmer planted good seed in his field but at night an enemy planted weeds among the wheat. One of the workers asked the farmer if they should pull the weeds but the farmer said this "You'll uproot the wheat if you do. Let both grow together until the harvest. Then I will tell the harvesters to sort out the weeds, and burn them, and to put the wheat in the barn."

I think personally we should keep from planting weeds in our gardens in the first place lest they grow and start pestering us and our plants. But if we've already started to do that, it may be time to contemplate on slowly cutting off and removing it's leaves and go down to it's roots after so they stop growing.

And so because I want to save my cucumbers and cantaloupes, I will have to say goodbye to this weed and be grateful for the journey and lesson it taught me. It will be difficult as the vines have started to cling to the other plants and I had grown attached to it but as they say, nothing worth having comes easy.

A blessed and weedfee Wednesday to all!

Xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do opposites attract and similar repel?? I beg to disagree!!

Product Review: Magnolia Pancake Plus (with maple syrup)

Legolas oh Legolas...