The fan gave him comfort for a short while until it stopped working due to a drained battery. At this point, I saw a perfect teaching opportunity that was too good to pass. A lesson in stewardship, proper use of our resources and consequences of actions.
We had gone over to my sister's house that morning and he watched videos alongside my sister's kids and he had used the portable fan even when there was a big fan already doing the job.
I told him that the fan stopped working because the battery was drained and it was a direct consequence of his actions earlier in the day. I told him that because he failed to conserve that resource earlier, he now had to suffer the effect and that meant he would have to take the heat. (literally)
He had the portable fan as a spare for when the need aris…