3 Stories this Good Friday


Had gone to the market to buy some fish and some grated coconut for Ma's binignit and this trip today lead me to witness and share these stories...

THE TREE OF LIFE

Did you know that the coconut tree is called the Tree of Life? All of its parts from the tip of its leaves down to its roots, can be used for many different things. The tree produces fruits to be eaten, coconut water for drinking, leaves and the trunk can be as wood and shingles for shelter and it can even be used for clothing.

Every part of the plant can be used and nothing goes to waste because they can either be recycled or reused in other ways. There is also zero waste because it is biodegradable and is absorbed by the soil and used as fertilizer.

It's amazing right that we have such a resource available to us?
Do you know of any other plant that does and gives so much yet requires very little to survive?

A SMALL GESTURE

When I had selected my coconuts, I waited in line with a few other people to get our grated coconut meat. The store had a mechanical grater that was operated by a middle-aged man who was sweating not only from the hot and humid weather but because of the non-stop work he has been doing removing the coconut meat from their husks. There had been three people ahead of me in line and the lady before me having brought her own seven coconuts to be grated, made the wait take a bit longer. Before the coconuts were given to the man for grating, the lady tending to the store was tasked to crack open the shells, catch the water in a tub and place the opened coconuts to the side of the man.

I didn't know if their relationship was of a romantic kind, familial or if they were just workmates, but the girl's simple gesture really caught my attention.

Upon seeing that the man was sweating, he took out an electric fan, turned it on and set it up so that the wind was blowing directly at the man cooling him off.

This simple gesture was really sweet because she saw the need and without being told or being asked, she took it upon herself to fulfill that need. This may be a small gesture but it is an act of love and care that will be etched forever in my mind especially this Good Friday.

A DECLINED SALE

I had initially thought the fish market would be closed as it is a holiday but fortunately it was not as we needed to buy some fish. After I had paid for my fish, I went to the vendor selling shells and since I only had 60 pesos left, I asked if she would sell me some shells for 60 pesos. The price of the shell was 150 so 60 pesos would be less than half a kilo. She refused and so I went over to the other vendor also selling shells. Her prices were more expensive but when I asked if I could buy some for only 60 pesos, without hesitation she said yes and placed them in a plastic.
In my head, I say to myself, it may only be 60 pesos but 60 pesos is still a sale and “a sale is still a sale no matter how small or how big”. That was 60 pesos that one vendor declined and yet another vendor earned.

*******

Why do I tell of these stories this Good Friday, you ask? Because these mini stories are reminders to us of even bigger things.

The story of the tree of life reminds us to be givers and not just takers. To give much without expecting anything in return. To be unconditional givers like the tree of life that offers so much yet takes very little or none in return.

A reminder of what the Lenten Season is all about and and that Good Friday is a celebration of the biggest sacrifice and the greatest act of unconditional giving of all – when Jesus gave up his life and died on the cross to save all of us from our sins.

The story of the lady in the store reminds us that love can be expressed and felt in the simplest of things and does not have to be grandiose or extravagant. It may be cliche but oftentimes it truly is "the thought that counts".

The story of the vendor who lost a 60-peso sale reminds us that blessings can come in big and small sizes and to appreciate both - especially the small ones lest it be taken away from us and given to someone else more appreciative.

So which one are you:
The tree of life
The lady in the store 
or The fish vendor?

The choice is still yours.

Have a blessed Good Friday to all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do opposites attract and similar repel?? I beg to disagree!!

Product Review: Magnolia Pancake Plus (with maple syrup)

Legolas oh Legolas...